3D quality assessment
3D is often considered as the next step in the development of home’s television. So far, it has also created a lot of interest in the digital cinemas. In both cases, several difficulties has to be considered. These difficulties come from the camera capturing over the encoding and transmission stage to the rendering on the display or the cinema screen. Each of these steps need to be re-evaluated in the 3D context.
The 3D activities of the IVC team have started a long time ago before the current hype of 3DTV. The research is focused on the influence of the modern technology and on the human observer. In particular, 3DTV adds several constraints and additions to the previous measured video quality. Besides the Quality of Experience, the visual discomfort need to be resolved. The work is underway to create reliable measure of the discomfort. The integration into an overall quality score is one of the main goal.
Our unique 3D platform with its multitude of display and measurement equipment are located in a standardized environment that allows us to develop and to compare different technologies and subjective test methods.
The strong international cooperation of the IVC team helps to verify the results with several different laboratories. IVC research group is also co-chairing the activities of the 3DTV group in Video Quality Experts Group (VQEG). In this effort, we are preparing a new ITU standard which will take the role of the well-known ITU-R BT.500 for 3DTV.
- Autostereoscopic displays :
- Alioscopy (8 views, lenticular)
- Philips 3D Wow (9 views, lenticular)
- Holografika (holographic screen)
- Passive (polarized glasses) stereoscopic displays :
- Panasonic BT-3DL2550 Professional (1920x1080)
- Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W (1920x1080)
- Active (shutter glasses) stereoscopic displays :
- Projector JVC DLA X7 (1920x1080)
- Panasonic TX-P46VT20E 46" (1920x1080)
- 2 x Philips 46PFL9705H 46" (1920x1080)
- BenQ XL2410T (1920x1080)
- Alienware OptX AW2310 (1920x1080)
- Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ (1680*1050)
- Panasonic AG-3DA1 (dual 1920x1080@25fps)
- Server for capturation
- ClearView Extreme (Uncompressed capture)
3D_Images Subjective quality for 3D images with differents degradations (SAMVIQ method)
The database is composed of 6 original stereoscopic images (512x512 pixels) and 15 distorted version of each sources generated from 3 different processings (JPEG, JPEG2000, blurring). These distortions are symmetrically applied to the stereopair images. Finally, these images are rated by 19 observers with a SAMVIQ method. Read more.
NAMA3DS1_COSPAD1 Quality assessment (using ACR-HR) on 3D HD videos with coding and spatial degration
We use H.264 and JPEG2000 coding, downsampling and sharpening processing on 3D Full HD video open source contents. There are 10 contents and 11 versions so 110 videos. Then, 29 observers rate videos with an ACR-HR method. Read more.